At least 40 suspected Boko Haram insurgents and four soldiers were killed in an overnight raid on suspected Boko Haram insurgents in Nigeria’s northeast region, military authorities said on Friday.
According to a Business Standard report, nine other soldiers reportedly sustained injuries in gunfights between the insurgents and troops, following a raid near Bulanbali, located on the outskirts of northern Borno state, Xinhua quoted Chris Olukolade, spokesperson of the Nigerian military, as saying in a statement.
“More than 16 rifles and a substantial number of assorted calibers of ammunition, improvised explosive devices, subscriber identification module cards and electronic items were recovered,” said the military officer.
According to him, the capture of a number of terrorists, believed to be the ring leaders of insurgents operating around Alagarmo town in the state, had sparked off a major fighting near Bulanbuli late Thursday.
A military officer who spoke on conditions of anonymity said Bulanbali, located between Alagarmo and Sambisa forest where the terrorists had been attempting to establish a stronghold in their campaign, had been cordoned off by troops.