An alleged al-Qaeda leader, who was at the centre of a controversial abduction by the US in October 2013, Abu Anas al-Liby, has died just days
before going on trial in New York over the 1998 US embassy attacks in Africa.
The 50-year-old died in hospital on Friday, his wife and lawyers say. He is reported to have had liver cancer.
He was to stand trial on 12 January over the 1998 embassy attacks, which killed more than 220 people in Kenya and Tanzania.
Mr Liby, whose real name was Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, previously pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges.
His wife, Um Abdullah, accused the US government on Saturday of “kidnapping, mistreating and killing an innocent man,” according to the Associated Press news agency.
She said her husband died from complications following liver surgery, AP reports.
When he was seized in 2013, Mr Liby had been on the FBI’s most wanted list for more than a decade, with a $5m (£3.1m) bounty on his head. He had been indicted by a New York grand jury in 2000.
Many people in Libya were angry about what they said was a breach of the country’s sovereignty.