Ms Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the U.S. Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, on Thursday said that about 100,000 Nigerians were currently living outside Nigeria as refugees in neighbouring countries.
According to a PM News report, Thomas-Linda, who announced this to Journalists from across Africa in a tele-press conference, said that Boko Haram attacks had forced more than one million Nigerians out of their homes.
According to her, these people have serious concerns that urgently need to be addressed.
“More than a million Nigerians have been forced from their homes. Close to 100,000 Nigerians are living outside of Nigeria as refugees.
“Thousands of families, ordinary people, have been impacted by Boko Haram.
“And these people have serious concerns that urgently need to be addressed,’’ she said.
The U.S. envoy said that her government had been working closely with Nigeria and her neighbouring countries in addressing problem of terrorism in the region.
Thomas-Linda said that there was multifaceted effort in place to deal with security issues as well as dealing with the root causes.
The U.S. representative in Africa also said that her government had been working with and providing support for governments in the region through the Multinational Joint Task Force.
“We’re also working with governments to look at broad economic development in the regions affected by Boko Haram by encouraging businesses to invest in those areas.
“We are also work with the governments to ensure that those who have been victims of Boko Haram receive the assistance that they require to rebuild their lives,’’ she said.