The father of a US Navy Seal killed in a raid on a suspected al-Qaeda compound in Yemen last month has said that he refused to meet US President Donald Trump when his son’s body arrived home.
“I’m sorry, I don’t want to see him,” he said he told a chaplain at the time.
The raid on 28 January was the first such operation authorised by Mr Trump.
Bill Owens, whose son William “Ryan” Owens was killed, told the Miami Herald that “the government owes my son an investigation”.
“Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn’t even barely a week into his administration? Why?” he said in an interview with the newspaper published on Sunday.
“For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen – everything was missiles and drones – because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?”
The raid – approved by President Trump just six days after he took office – is believed to have killed several civilians, including children.
Three other Americans were wounded in the raid, planning for which began under the Obama administration.
A report in the New York Times alleged that the mission had been compromised early on – something the commandos knew from intercepted communications, the paper said.
“They kind of knew they were screwed from the beginning,” it quoted a former Seal Team 6 official as saying.
But the military disputed this, saying there was no evidence the mission was compromised.