Manager for two time world champion Fernando Alonso says he is doing well after spending the night in hospital following a heavy crash in testing.
Alonso’s McLaren-Honda hit the wall side on at Turn Three of the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona on Sunday, and although Alonso was conscious and able to speak to doctors after the incident, he was airlifted to hospital for precautionary checks.
Alonso is due to undergo further tests on Monday.
Asked if the former world champion will be fit enough to start the Formula One season in Australia on March 15, Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad told the Spanish media: “He is well and I don’t think there will be any problems.
“The impact was quite strong but fortunately, it was nothing. He was conscious and able to speak.
“He was taken to hospital as a precaution and they have done all the necessary tests, which have all come out well.
“But he will need to spend another 24 hours under observation. The tests will be repeated on Monday.”
Garcia Abad denied reports that Alonso had been feeling dizzy prior to the incident.
“I deny that Fernando was feeling unwell prior to the incident,” he said. “The car had grip, there was tremendous wind and he went into the wall, the rest is speculation.
“The car telemetry has stated that he was correcting from left to right.
“Fernando was hitting the brake and changing gears until the moment of impact.”
Alonso rejoined McLaren this season after a disappointing fifth and final campaign with Ferrari.
He won back-to-back world titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006 before spending one season at McLaren in 2007.
Alonso has 32 career grand prix victories, the last of which came in Barcelona in 2013.