A US judge has declined to issue an emergency order banning President Donald Trump’s revised travel ban.
The ruling came from Seattle district judge James Robart, the same judge who had issued the order that in effect halted implementation of the first ban.
Judge Robart said lawyers needed to file more extensive documentation.
The new 90-day ban on citizens of six mostly Muslim nations is due to come into effect on Thursday but has sparked legal action in a number of states.
Lawyers in Washington state had asked Judge Robart to extend his decision on the first ban to cover the second but the judge cited procedural reasons for not doing so.
He said a complaint or a motion would have to be filed before he could rule.
The justice department had argued that since the initial travel order ban had been revoked, the judge’s first ruling could no longer apply. Those opposing that argument said the new travel ban had the same effect as the original.