A 43-year-old Nigerian man, Ifeanyi Onuegbu, who died suddenly on a Eurostar train was a “drug mule” who had swallowed 110 wraps of cocaine, an inquest revealed.
According to Hamhigh.co.uk, he was killed after one wrap – thought to contain about seven grams of the Class A drug – burst in his intestines.
He was found slumped in his chair by a fellow passenger on the train from Paris to London, after it had pulled into St Pancras station.
Paramedics went to the scene and administered CPR, but Mr Onuegbu could not be saved, St Pancras Corner’s Court heard on Monday.
He died on the train in St Pancras station, shortly after its arrival at about 10.40pm on Friday, March 21, earlier this year.
Ruling that the death was accidental, senior coroner Mary Hassell said: “A post-mortem examination revealed 110 drug parcels, at least one of which had ruptured, containing cocaine, and that massive ingestion of cocaine was what killed Mr Onuegbu.
“His death was an accident, he died as a consequence of the rupture of cocaine packages that he was body-packing on his journey from Paris.”
Mr Onuegbu was born in Lagos but lived with his family in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
During the inquest, he was described both as a student and as a businessman who traded in mobile phones and cars.
He often came to London and stayed with his sister at her home in Harrow, travelling via Paris.
Det Con Michael Saunders, of British Transport Police (BTP), said he was a “frequent international traveller” who had visited London about 40 times in the past two years.