North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says he has suspended all missile tests and will shut down a nuclear test site.
“From 21 April, North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles,” the country’s state news agency said.
Mr Kim said further tests were unnecessary because Pyongyang’s nuclear capabilities had been “verified”.
The surprise announcement comes as North Korea prepares for historic talks with South Korea and the US.
Mr Kim is due to meet his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in next week for the first inter-Korean summit in over a decade, and US President Donald Trump by June.
Both countries have been pushing Pyongyang to denuclearise and they reacted positively to the latest development.
“This is very good news for North Korea and the World – big progress!” Mr Trump tweeted after the announcement.
On Thursday, the US leader said there was a “bright path available to North Korea when it achieves denuclearisation”.
A spokesperson for the South Korean president called the North’s move “meaningful progress”.
“It will also contribute to creating a very positive environment for the success of the upcoming South-North summit and North-United States summit,” a statement from Mr Moon’s office said.