Nigeria’s Defense Secretary Mansur Dan Ali told German website, DW, on Thursday that the suspected kidnappers had been arrested.
“They have been detained. The police chief mentioned that when he was briefing us on improved security in southern Kaduna State,” he said.
The identity of the suspects has not been disclosed.
The two Germans had been abducted on Wednesday during excavation work at Jenjela village in Kaduna state. Two villagers who attempted to help the Germans were shot and killed by the kidnappers.
No ransom was paid when they were freed late on Saturday, a police official said, without giving details. The gunmen had demanded a ransom of 60 million naira (about $200,000 or 190,000 euros).
“The two archaeologists from the Goethe University in Frankfurt are free. They are in the care of the German embassy in Abuja,” said an unnamed source at the Foreign Ministry. “They are doing well under the circumstances,” the source added, without providing further details.
The governor of Kaduna, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, applauded Nigeria’s security forces on Sunday for securing the hostages’ release. There were no details as to whether anyone had been arrested.
The men were kidnapped along a road running from Abuja to Kaduna, which will soon serve as a temporary entry point for visitors to the capital, Abuja. The main airport in Abuja will be closed for repairs for six weeks beginning in early March.