The UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, imposed a nationwide lockdown on the United Kingdom in a bid to stop the coronavirus pandemic and unsurprisingly, residents responded with internet memes on Twitter, some borrowed from Nollywood.
The prime minister said:
1. Shops selling “non-essential goods” including clothes and electronics stores will be closed immediately
2. Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship will also close
3. Gatherings of more than two people (excluding people who live together) will be banned
4. There will be no weddings or baptisms but funerals will be allowed
5. Parks will remain open but people are only to go out to exercise once a day
Mr Johnson said that if these rules are not followed then police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.
People are also being told not to meet friends or family members who do not live with them.
Mr Johnson said people would only be allowed to leave their homes in future for specific and limited purposes:
1. Shopping for “basic necessities”, as infrequently as possible. People should use delivery services, where they can
2. Medical reasons, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
3. Travelling to and from work, but only if it is “absolutely necessary”
The measures will last for three weeks from 23 March before being reviewed.
Characteristically, some people responded with internet memes:
— ⁷ (@ggukpersona) March 23, 2020
— amber (@amberalexa_) March 23, 2020