Catherine, Princess Of Wales, Admitted To Hospital For Abdominal Surgery

The Princess of Wales is to stay in hospital for up to two weeks after undergoing abdominal surgery.

Kensington Palace said the procedure was planned and successful but the princess is not expected to resume royal duties for months.

The palace did not disclose further details about her condition but said it is not cancer-related.

In the announcement about Catherine, Kensington Palace said she wished to apologise for postponing planned engagements.

“Based on the current medical advice, she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter,” a statement said.

The Prince of Wales will not be carrying out any official duties while his wife is in hospital or immediately after she is discharged.

A statement from the palace said the princess “appreciates the interest this statement will generate” and stressed she wants her personal medical information to remain private.

It continued: “She hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible.”

Kensington Palace said it would only provide updates when there is significant new information to share.

She is recuperating at the London Clinic, near Regent’s Park in central London, which describes itself as the UK’s largest independent private hospital.

TV cameras and reporters were seen gathering near to the hospital after the announcement on Wednesday afternoon, with a number of police officers also discreetly dotted around the streets near the building.

Once discharged, the princess is expected to recover at home in Windsor, where she and Prince William live with their children, Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, eight, and Prince Louis, five.

In the statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, Kensington Palace said: “Her Royal Highness, The Princess of Wales, was admitted to The London Clinic yesterday for planned abdominal surgery.

“The surgery was successful and it is expected that she will remain in hospital for 10 to 14 days, before returning home to continue her recovery.”