A statement from the Nigerian presidency says President Akufo-Addo has expressed ” his sincere apology for the demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana”.
The statement signed by Mr Garba Shehi, the Senior Special Assistant to the President Muhammadu Buhari said the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari in a telephone conversation that he has directed a thorough investigation into the incident.
The statement further revealed that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned before a court in connection with the demolition.
Ghana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Ms Shirley Ayorkor on June 22 apologised to the Nigeria High Commission in Ghana following the demolition of the storey building.
She also assured that the ongoing investigation into the matter would be transparent.
“We will ensure that whatever the outcome is, we will not hide it from the people of Ghana or the people of Nigeria. It will be laid bare,” she said.
Ms Ayorkor Botchwey stressed that the incident was “not a government-sanctioned activity” adding that “our government respects the rule of law.”
On the links between the demolition and the Osu Stool, she said the matter would also be investigated.