President Trump has defended his decision to order a fatal strike on an Iranian general with a tweet saying that the Iranian top military commander, Qasem Soleimani, has killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans over an extended period of time, and was plotting to kill many more.
President Trump said further that Soleimani’s “reign of terror” was “over” following a strike at Iraq’s Baghdad airport on Friday.
Soleimani spearheaded Iran’s Middle East operations as leader of the country’s Quds Force. Iran vowed to take “severe revenge” over his death.
The killing marked a major escalation in tensions between Iran and the US.
US officials said 3,000 additional troops would be sent to the Middle East as a precaution.
Meanwhile, Iraqi state television said there had been another air strike in the country, 24 hours after the killing of Soleimani. An Iraqi army source told the Reuters news agency that six people were killed in the new strike, which hit a convoy of Iraqi militia in the early hours of Saturday morning local time.
A US military spokesman denied that the American-led coalition fighting in the region was responsible.