Nigerian authorities made an unprecedented coup de main against suspected Boko Haram insurgents in Borno State on Sunday when the Nigerian Army 7 Division foiled a planned Boko Haram insurgency, killing no fewer than 40 of the would be attackers and injuring many others.
The residents of Bama and Kondga local Councils of Borno State were the targets of the planned terrorist invasion and the attack was to take place during the Sallah festivities.
The soldiers who foiled the attack were acting on a tip-off that the insurgents were planning an attack. Based on the information they had a surprise attack was sprung on the militants at the fringes of the Sambisa forest.
Weapons recovered from the insurgents included 60 AK47 rifles and 100 machetes from a group known as the “Ombatse militia group”. This group is said to be responsible for the killing of several police-men and SSS personnel in Alakyo earlier this year in May.
According to the Guardian, an unnamed top government official was also arrested at one of the military checkpoints in the state with firearms in his vehicle.
It was also learnt that Police in Kaduna yesterday successfully repelled gunmen who invaded Makarfi Local Council during their manhunt for the armed men.
Some of the residents of Makarfi community in the council said that for the timely intervention of the police, who engaged the gunmen in a gun dwell, the insurgents would have over-run the town after they had attacked Keystone Bank Plc.
Meanwhile, Kaduna State Governor, Mukhtar Ramalan Yero, has called on members of the public to assist the security agencies with useful and timely information to enable them secure lives and property in the state.
Captain Aliyu Ibrahim Danja, acting spokesman of 7 Division, said yesterday in Maiduguri that the clash and eventual repulsion of Boko Haram suspects at the fringes of Sambisa Forests “were based on intelligence report available to our troops on ground and air that over 100 armed sect members had mobilised at a nearby bush, which is 10 kilometres to Bama township, with arms to launch attacks on Konduga.”
He further disclosed that before the terrorists could move to launch their attacks, the 7 Division ambushed them with armoured patrol tankers and rocket-propelled grenade, killing no fewer than 40 suspects.
He added: “Our troops were also able to recover arms and ammunition from the fleeing terrorists that sustained various degrees of injuries in the repulsion that lasted for over two hours on Sunday.”
The Borno State Police Public Relations Officer, Gideon Jibrin, also confirmed the incident yesterday in Maiduguri.