Twitter will uphold its ban on former president Donald Trump, even if he runs for office again, according to the company’s chief financial officer.
“When you’re removed from the platform, you’re removed from the platform,” CFO Ned Segal said on Wednesday morning, in an interview on CNBC.
“Our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence,” Segal said. “He was removed when he was president and there’d be no difference for anybody who’s a public official once they’ve been removed from the service.”
Twitter locked Trump’s personal account last month after his response on the platform to the attack on the US Capitol.
They said he was contributing to an elevated risk of violence.
The next day, the account was permanently suspended “due to the risk of further incitement of violence”.
Snapchat too has permanently banned Trump from the platform.
He is still under temporary suspension by Facebook and Instagram, pending an ongoing investigation.