Austrian police are searching for at least one suspect after a multiple gun attack in the capital, Vienna, that left three people dead.
About a dozen other people have been wounded – some seriously – after gunmen opened fire at six different locations in the city centre on Monday evening.
One suspect was shot dead by police, officials said.
Interior Minister Karl Nehammer described the assailant killed by police as an “Islamist terrorist”.
Addressing a news conference, he said the attacker was an Islamic State (IS) sympathiser and that the suspect’s home had been searched and video material seized. Police tweeted that he had been wearing a fake explosive belt.
Earlier, Mr Nehammer said at least one “heavily armed and dangerous” attacker was believed to be still at large. He urged people to avoid central Vienna and told parents not to take their children to school on Tuesday.
The shootings broke out near Vienna’s central synagogue but it is not yet clear if that was the target. Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz called it a “repulsive terror attack”.