There are so many sayings about the falling skies or, rather, the fact that the skies will not fall and truly the skies are not falling but something is likely to fall from the skies soon and its not rain.
Pieces from a one-ton dis-used satellite are hurtling towards earth from space and likely to land anywhere on our planet anytime soon, scientists have warned.
They have also stated that since the 70% of the earth is covered by water the likely hood that it would land somewhere in the ocean is about 70% leaving a 30% chance that it could land on land – or worse still, on a building somewhere.
The European Space Agency’s research satellite will mostly disintegrate as it enters the atmosphere 50 miles above the Earth leaving a 200kg fragment weighing the same as a car engine that will break into smaller debris, it is believed according to Skynews report.
The pieces that fall will weigh up to 90kg said the ESA.
The satellite is known as the Gravity Field and Steady-State Ocean Circulation Explorer (GOCE) and its impact is likely to take place on Monday.
The ESA claimed humans were 250,000 times more likely to win the lottery than to get hit by the debris.
With a sleek design which led to it being dubbed the ‘Ferrari of Space’, GOCE has mapped variations in Earth’s gravity with extreme detail, scientists said.
The data it supplied led scientists to map the boundary between Earth’s crust and mantle – called the Moho – and to detect sound waves from the massive earthquake that hit Japan in 2011.
GOCE’s mission came to an end when it ran out of fuel and began its descent towards Earth from a height of around 140 miles.
Considering the assurances given by the scientists, the likelihood that the satellite would fall anywhere in Nigeria or Africa could be very slim but not completely nil.